Doctors & Staff
Meet the experienced and friendly doctors and staff who make Wilson EyeCare Associates the leading provider of vision care products and services in Williamson.
Steven C. Wilson, O.D.
- Williamson High School Graduate, 1974, Williamson, WV
- Attended Southern West Virginia Community College, 1977-1978
- Southern College of Optometry, Doctor of Optometry, Bachelor of Science, 1978-1982
- Senior Externship, Gordon Butterfield, O.D, Charleston, WV, 1981
- Senior Externship, St. Luke’s Hospital, New Port Richey, FL, 1982
- Member of the American Optometric Association since 1982
- Member of the West Virginia Optometric Association since 1982
- Past member of The National Association of Sports Vision, Contact Lens Section of the America Optometric Association
In 1950, my father, J.H. Wilson, O.D., began practicing Optometry here in Williamson with Dr. J. F. Brown. Several years later, Dr. Brown retired, leaving my father with the solo practice. He practiced general Optometry with heavy emphasis in geriatric care. In 1962, the office was relocated from the Ammar Building to 106 Logan Street. In June 1996, we proudly opened our freestanding building at 126 West 2nd Avenue. This 3200 square foot, state-of-the-art facility offers the most modern equipment and computerization as well as ample parking for our staff and patients.
G. Shawn Sammons, O.D.
Shawn Sammons, OD, a lifelong resident of Mingo County, is a 2005 graduate of Matewan High School. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences from Marshall University in 2010 with honors. He graduated from the Indiana University School of Optometry in Bloomington, IN in 2014. There, he was a member of the Gold Key International Honor Society, Beta Sigma Kappa optometric honor society, the Private Practice Club, and served as an associate instructor for clinical science courses. He was also a member of Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity (VOSH) where he spent time in Guanajuato, Mexico providing volunteer eye care services to underserved citizens of central Mexico.
He is a member of the American Optometric Association (AOA) and the West Virginia Association of Optometric Physicians (WVAOP), where he serves as Trustee to the Association. Shawn practices full-scope optometry as defined by the West Virginia laws. His special interests include primary eye care for all ages, contact lenses (including specialty contact lenses), treatment and management of ocular diseases, cataract surgical co-management, and refractive surgery consultation and co-management.
Dr. Sammons began serving patients at Wilson EyeCare Associates in 2014. August 2019 marked the end of his time with us as he chose to practice in central WV and be nearer his family. All patient records remain here and we continue to see Dr. Sammons’ patients in our facility.